Today on Home & Family
Monday, November 25th, 2013
Actress and author Mary McDonough reminisces about starring on "The Waltons." She takes us back to being starstruck at the audition. To this very day, Mary remains close to her cast mates. In her book, Mary writes about enduring bullying at school and on set and how that led her to feel pressue to be pretty and perfect. She now uses this experience as a life coach and finds that journaling helped her overcome her insecurities and body image issues.
"Lessons From the Mountain: What I Learned From Erin Walton" is available wherever books are sold, and visit marymcdonough.com for more information.
Devin Alexander's Tips for Eating Healthy For the Holidays
"The Biggest Loser" chef Devin Alexander has tips and recipes to avoid expanding your waistline over the holiday season. She cuts calories in popular hors d'oeuvres recipes and shares the secret to her 70 pound weight loss.
1. Eat a small meal before you go to a party because then you won't be inclined to overeat at the party.
2. When you first arrive, scan the entire room to see what they are serving so you can determine what exactly you want to splurge on because, hey, it's the holidays and you should have what you want. 3. Stand away from the food table so you don't keep snacking. Devin Alexander and her friends at Ninja want to make sure that you can make all of your favorite holiday dishes in style and are giving away the Ultimate Ninja Cooking System to 5 lucky viewers. Entering is easy. All you have to do is follow us on Twitter @HomeandFamilyTV and retweet our Tweet, with the hashtag #Ninja in it. Contest closes on Wednesday November 27th we will private message the winners on Twitter. Good luck!
Kym Douglas' Five Quick Fixes for Your Last Minute Holiday Party
With only minutes to spare before hosting a holiday party or rushing out the door, Kym Douglas introduces five cosmetics products perfect for when you're in a hurry. From makeup to moisturizer to haircare, she's got all the essential solutions to make you look your best.
1. Every Drop Beauty Spatula, available at www.everybeautybrand.com and at drugstores, $5
2. Shea Chic, www.sheachic.com, $12.95-$25.95
3. Eye Envy, www.coloronpro.com, $20
4. Quickstyle Paddle Brush, www.goody.com, $12
5. Do It Yourself Beauty Mark with Eye Liner & Eyelash Glue
Get additional tips from lifestyle and beauty expert Kym Douglas at KymDouglas.com. Follow her @KymDouglas and like her on Facebook.
Two-time Emmy Award winning consumer and investigative reporter Jeanette Pavini reveals how to feed a party of 10 this holiday for under $100. After applying coupons, her total bill amounted to only $79.90, giving her money to spare. To work her magic, Jeanette advises building your menu off of items that are on sale and downloading couponing apps. She also finds that shopping with cash makes consumers more conscious of how much they're spending. Plus, Jeanette compares generic versus brand name products and announces the best time to shop for sales.
1. Download apps GroceryIQ and coupons.com to start saving money.
2. Sign-up for a loyalty card at your local grocery store.
3. Go to manufacturer websites to save on name brands you like. 4. Check out weekly grocery ads to see what's on sale. Get great savings on Coupons.com and groceryIQ apps by adding coupons to your Savings Card in three easy steps: 1. Register on your retailer's website or on Coupons.com, then add your Savings Card to your user account. 2. Visit our gallery of Savings Card coupons and select the coupons that you would like to add to your Savings Card. 3. Print your coupon list so you know which products to buy at the store. When you enter your Savings Card number at checkout, the savings will be applied automatically to the applicable products that you purchase. Get additional money-saving pointers at jeanettepavini.com.
Cristina Cooks Thanksgiving Dinner for Two
If you're hosting an intimate Thanksgiving, Cristina shares recipes perfect for a scaled-down feast for two. She suggests making cornish game hens in lieu of turkey. She also makes sweet-n-savory blanched green beans. Then, Cristina goes crazy for Craisins and adds cranberries for a healthy serving of fruit and a pop of vibrant color.
You can find these food products and more from Ocean Spray at www.oceanspray.com.
Jessie Jane's DIY Advent Calendar
Jessie Jane is counting down to Christmas with her DIY Avent calendar. Beginning with December 1 and going through the 25th, Jessie uses velcro to adhere little boxes onto a glass frame. Your children open one decorated box per day leading up to Santa's visit to get a special treat inside.
For more with Jessie Jane, visit lilyshop.com.
Get more great recipes and crafts by visiting us on Pinterest at pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.
Thanks to Sandie Newton, Cyber Monday has arrived one week early for "Home & Family" viewers. With deep discounts reaching new heights of up to 80% off, you won't find better prices anywhere else! From monogrammed bathrobes to vegan handbags worn by Mischa Barton to precious gemstone earrings and so more, Hollywood Steals is your one-stop shopping outlet for the holidays. And, you won't want to miss out on a nifty new-age lava lamp for only $24.
To take advantage of these Hollywood Steals and more, call 1-855-655-STEAL or visit http://www.hollywoodsteals.com/.
Visit our Facebook page at facebook.com/hollywoodsteals for contests and giveaways!
To learn more about Hallmark Channel's Pet Project, visit www.hallmarkchannel.com/petproject. Ten percent of the proceeds from Hollywood Steals goes to benefit Lucky Puppy Rescue & Retail.
Electronics at Discount Prices
Maximize on Big Lots' year-round savings this holiday shopping season. Debbie Matenopoulos showcases electronics for all age categories. Tablets, toys, and coffee makers, oh my! GPS's and grills galore! An inflatable Frosty the Snowman lawn ornament will melt your heart when he comes shivering at our door.
Facts & Figures:
1. 1/3 of consumers plan to buy all of their holiday gifts on sale.
2. 75% of kids under 8-years-old are using tablets. 3. American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no screen use under 2 years old.
4. AAP recommends all screens be kept out of kids' bedrooms.
5. AAP recommends less than 2 hours a day of screen time. 6. Science reveals men don't ask for directions because they don't "feel" lost. 7. 32% of shoppers self-gifted last year. To find the Big Lots nearest you, go to www.biglots.com.
You can follow TV host and personality Debbie Matenopoulos on Twitter @iamdebbiem.
Sarah Duerr has a heart of gold since leaving her job as a gym teacher in New York to become a full-time fundraiser in Los Angeles for Hope for the Warriors. This selfless community development coordinator receives a much-deserved day of pampering to embrace a stunning new West Coast look. Sarah's boyfriend Joe Parise is also on hand to witness her glamorous debut.
Learn more about Hope for the Warriors at hopeforthewarriors.org.