Leslie Durso's Cauliflower Fettuccine Alfredo
This recipe is over 1000 calories less than Alfredo served in a restaurant!
Cauliflower Fettuccine Alfredo
• 1 large head of cauliflower
• 3 cups vegetable broth • 2 tbsp. vegan butter (I use Earth Balance) • 1 tbsp. olive oil • ½ onion, sliced • 6 cloves of garlic, sliced • ¼ tsp. nutmeg • ½ tsp. salt • fresh ground pepper to taste • ¼ cup toasted almonds, chopped
- Cut off any bottom leaves of the cauliflower and cut out the toughest part of the core. Then break the cauliflower down into florets. Boil them with the vegetable broth uncovered until the cauliflower is very soft and tender. About 15 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, heat a large frying pan and saute the onion and garlic with the Earth Balance and olive oil until soft.
- When both are done, using a slotted spoon, remove all the cauliflower from the broth and place in a blender or food processor. Add 1 cup of the cooking broth, all the contents of the frying pan, the nutmeg and salt. Puree on high until very smooth, 3-4 minutes. Add a little more broth at a time if it needs to be thinned. Add pepper to taste and top with the toasted almonds.
- Serve with fettuccine and serve warm.
OPTIONS: Drizzle the finished fettuccine alfredo with some truffle oil for something really special! Add red chili flakes to kick up the heat on your pasta! Or saute asparagus, mushrooms, squash, tomatoes, broccoli, or any other veggies you like and add on top!
Our ingredients were generously supplied from: wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/Fairfax.
Visit lesliedurso.com for m ore great tips and recipes from Vegan Chef Leslie Durso!