Ken Wingard's Fabulous Big Game Finger Foods
Bacon Maple Kettle Corn Ingredients:
• 6 slices of bacon
• 2 tbsps maple syrup
• ½ cup popping corn (mushroom corn if you can find it)
• 3 tbsps sugar
• 1 tsp salt
Bacon Maple Kettle Corn Recipe:
- Pan fry bacon until crispy, remove from pan and save bacon grease.
- Chop bacon, put in small bowl and toss with maple syrup.
- Pour bacon grease into a large saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- Add popping corn.
- Sprinkle sugar and salt over kernels.
- Add lid.
- Continually shake pot while holding lid down until popping begins.
- Continue to shake until popping corn has slowed.
- Pour popped corn into serving bowl.
- Drizzle with bacon/syrup mixture and toss.
Ingredients for Football Roll Sandwiches:
• Wedge of Asiago cheese
• Pre-made oval sandwich rolls
Recipe for Football Roll Sandwiches:
- Pre-heat broiler.
- Slice the cheese into ⅛" x ⅛" x 3" strips.
- Cut half the strips into 1" pieces.
- Slice the sandwich rolls.
- Place the tops on a baking sheet.
- Lay the 3" strips down the center of the tops.
- Lay three of the 1-inch pieces across to look like football laces.
- Place under the broiler just until the cheese starts to melt.
- Remove and use for sandwiches.
Ingredients for Football Turkey Burger Wraps:
• 1 ½ lbs ground turkey
• 1 1oz package dry onion soup mix
• ½ tsp ground black pepper
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 ½ tbsps soy sauce
• 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
Recipe for Football Turkey Burger Wraps:
- In a large bowl, mix the turkey with the onion soup mix, pepper, garlic powder, soy sauce, and egg.
- Refrigerate the mixture about 10 minutes, then form into 6 patties.
- Preheat the grill for medium-high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate.
- Mold patties into football shape with cookie cutter, your hands, or a knife.
- Place the patties on the grill.
- Cook for 20 minutes, turning once, or until well done.
- The inside of the burgers will look whitish in color when cooked through.
- Serve in lettuce leaves.
Ingredients for Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Footballs:
• 24 large fresh strawberries
• 8 ounces chocolate candy coating or chopped chocolate
• ¼ cup white candy coating or white chocolate chips
Recipe for Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Footballs:
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with waxed paper.
- Wash the strawberries and pat them dry.
- Make sure they're truly dry and don't have any wet patches, otherwise you'll have trouble dipping them.
- Melt the chocolate candy coating in the microwave, stirring after every 30 seconds until it is smooth and fluid.
- Hold a strawberry by the stem and dip it in the chocolate until it is almost entirely covered.
- Hold it over the bowl and let the excess drip back into the bowl, then scrape the bottom against the lip of the bowl.
- Place the berry on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat the process until all of the strawberries are covered with chocolate.
- Refrigerate the tray until the chocolate is set, for about 15 minutes.
- While you're waiting for the chocolate to harden, melt the white chocolate.
- Pour it into a paper cone or plastic baggie with a small hole cut in the corner.
- Draw a white chocolate line around the top and bottom of a strawberry, then add the white "laces" in the middle to make it look like a football.
- Repeat until all of the strawberries are decorated.
- Let the white chocolate harden completely.