Home & Family Memorial Day Recipes
Cristina’s Peach Tea-Brined Chicken with Bourbon-Peach BBQ Sauce
Ingredients:• 1 Quart water • 1 Black Tea, 4 bags • 1 Peach Tea, 4 bags • 1 cup light brown sugar • ⅓ cup kosher salt • 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, lightly toasted • 2 cups ice cubes • 1 whole chicken (3-4 pounds, cut into 8 pieces) • 4 garlic cloves, smashed • 6 sprigs fresh thyme • 1 lemon, sliced
- Bring water to a simmer and remove from heat, immediately add tea bags and allow to steep for 5-7 minutes. Remove tea bags and discard, whisk in brown sugar, salt and whisk to dissolve. Stir in black peppercorns along with ice cubes. Make sure brine cools to 40 degrees before pouring over chicken. Place chicken in 13x9 casserole dish or large ziplock bag, add in thyme and sliced lemon. Cover with cooled brine and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry. Season with fresh cracked pepper and grill over medium-high heat until a temperature of 160 degrees is reached, turning once. Serve with Bourbon-Peach BBQ sauce and enjoy! (recipe below)
Cristina’s Bourbon-Peach BBQ SauceIngredients: • 1-pound finely chopped peaches, extra ripe (you may also substitute frozen peaches, thawed) • ¼ cup raw sugar • 1 tsp finely minced habaneros • 1 cup water • 3 ounces Bourbon • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Combine peaches, sugar, habaneros, and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook until peaches break down and mixture gets slightly syrupy (15-20 minutes) Note, depending on whether you are using fresh or frozen peaches, you may need a bit more water if the mixture reduces too quickly and peaches don’t break down. Remove mixture from heat, stir in bourbon and lemon juice and taste for seasoning.
*For a fabulous presentation, use grilled peaches as garnish! Cut peaches in half and brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill peaches cut side down over high-heat until peaches are caramelized and start to soften.
Sophie Uliano’s Kale PlatterIngredients: • 1 bunch Dino Kale, washed and leaves stripped of stems • 2tbsp olive oil • Juice of ½ lemon • 6-ounces baked tofu (cut into tiny cubes) • 1 mango, cut into tiny cubes • 1 cup goji berries • ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- Shred kale. Place in bowl with olive and lemon and massage well. Leave for a couple of hours to marinate.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
Tanya Memme’s Classic Macaroni And CheeseIngredients: • 1 (16 ounce) package macaroni • 1 pound sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced • 1 tablespoon butte • Salt and pepper to taste • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. Place a quarter of the macaroni in the bottom, followed by an even layer of one-quarter of the cheese slices. Dot with butter and season with salt and pepper. Repeat layering three times. Pour evaporated milk evenly over the top of all.
- Bake, uncovered, for one hour, or until top is golden brown.
Jessie Jane’s S’mores PieIngredients: • 1 stick Softened Butter • ½ cups White Sugar • 1 whole egg • ¾ teaspoon vanilla • 1 cup flour • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs • 1 teaspoon baking powder • 7 oz container of Marshmallow creme • 12 oz semi sweet chocolate • 1 cup mini Marshmallows • ¼ cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a 9″ pie pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar together until well combined. Add egg and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Stir in flour, graham cracker crumbs and baking powder.
- Divide the dough in half and press half the dough in the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pie pan.
- Evenly spread the Marshmallow Creme over the bottom crust. Separate chocolate squares and place on top of the Marshmallow Creme. Place 1 cup of marshmallows on top.
- Using the remaining crust, spread over the top of the pie so it's completely covered. Sprinkle with ¼ cup milk chocolate chips and bake 18 - 20 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool before cutting.
Kym Douglas’ Deviled EggsIngredients: • 6 large eggs
• ¼ cup mayonnaise • 1 ¾ tablespoons sweet pickle relish • 1 teaspoon yellow mustard • Salt and pepper • Paprika, for garnish
- Place the eggs in a medium saucepan with water to cover and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover the pan, and let stand for 20 minutes. Pour off the hot water and refill the saucepan with cold water. Crack the eggshells all over and let them sit in the cold water for 5 minutes. Peel the eggs, cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Halve the eggs lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks and transfer them to a small bowl. Mash the yolks with a fork, then stir in the mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish and yellow mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Scoop a spoonful of the mixture into each egg white half. Sprinkle the tops with paprika.
Shirley Bovshow’s "Foodie Gardener" Garlic Edemame And Corn SaladIngredients: • 1½ pounds of shelled edemame • 3 fresh corn on the cob with corn removed from cob • ¼ cup sun-dried tomato in strips • 5 garlic cloves • 1 Tbsp grape seed oil
Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette Sauce
Ingredients: • ¼ cup olive oil • ⅓ cup grape seed oil • 3 tbsp fresh Meyer lemon juice • 1 tsp grated Meyer lemon peel • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar • 2 tsp dried oregano • 1 tsp dried basil • 1tsp dried tarragon • 1 tsp salt • 1 tsp sugar • ½ tsp black pepper
- Boil the shelled edamame in salted water for 5 minutes and then place in cold ice water for 30 seconds.
- Place corn, sun-dried tomato strips and 1 Tbsp of grape seed oil in pan until corn is crispy and brown on a couple of sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add fresh garlic to the above and mix in.
Make the Sauce
- Combine all the ingredients and whisk well to incorporate.
- Mix the lemon sauce into the salad, cover and refrigerate overnight for best flavor!
Mark’s BBQ RibsIngredients:
- Place rib sections into pot of boiling water.
- Boil for 45 minutes.
- Take ribs out and put them on a hot grill until for several minutes and grill until top is crispy.
- Brush on bbq sauce.
Matt Rogers Potato SaladIngredients: • 4 pounds Idaho potatoes • 4 jumbo eggs, hard boiled • 2½ cups mayonnaise • 4 green onions, finely chopped • 3 stalks celery, finely chopped • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard • ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large pot, add potatoes and water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. Drain and cool. Peel cooked potatoes and cut into small chunks. Put in a very large serving bowl or container. Peel and finely chop hard boiled eggs and add to bowl. Add mayonnaise, green onions, celery, mustard, white pepper and salt. Mix until just combined. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours before serving. Yield: 6 to 8 servings
And make sure you visit us on pinterest at www.pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv.