Cristina Cooks: Slow-Cooked Caribbean Pot Roast
Prep: 30 min.
Cook: 6 hours
Yield: 10 servings. Recipes submitted by Jenn Tidwell - Fair Oaks, Ca
• 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed • 2 large carrots, sliced • ¼ cup chopped celery • 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-½ pounds) • 1 tablespoon canola oil • 1 large onion, chopped • 2 garlic cloves, minced • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour • 1 tablespoon sugar • 1 tablespoon brown sugar • 1 teaspoon ground cumin • ¾ teaspoon salt • ¾ teaspoon ground coriander • ¾ teaspoon chili powder • ½ teaspoon dried oregano • ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon • ¾ teaspoon grated orange peel • ¾ teaspoon baking cocoa • 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- Place potatoes, carrots and celery in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, seasonings, orange peel and cocoa.
- Stir in tomato sauce; add to skillet and heat through.
- Pour over beef.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
Lemon-Butter Brussels Sprouts
• 1 pound fresh or frozen Brussels sprouts, thawed
• 3 tablespoons olive oil • 2 garlic cloves, minced • 1/4 cup white wine • 1/2 cup chicken broth • 4 teaspoons lemon juice • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme • 1/4 teaspoon salt • 1/4 teaspoon pepper • 2 tablespoons butter • 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel • Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Cut brussels sprouts in half. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until sprouts begin to brown.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-10 minutes or until sprouts are tender.
- Stir in butter and lemon peel until butter is melted. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
For More Great "Taste of Home" Recipes, go to www.tasteofhome.com.