Cristina Ferrare's Football Whoopie Pies & Homemade Dirty Chai Latte
Whoopie Pie Ingredients:
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
- 2¼ cups flour
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pound (4 cups) confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Optional: Baby M&Ms or Baby Chocolate Chips
Dirty Chai Latte Ingredients:
- 1 chai tea bag (I use Tazo's version)
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup strong brewed (dark roast) coffee
- ⅓ cup milk
- sugar to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixer, cream together shortening and sugar for about 2 minutes until light.
- Add egg and vanilla and chocolate extract, beating well until blended.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon. Slowly beat in the flour mixture, alternating with milk, until blended.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop onto greased baking sheets. Then use a toothpick or butter knife to gently create points on either side of the circle, creating the shape of a football. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until firm. Cool on racks then fill with filling, below.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
- With an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low.
- Add sugar 1 cup at a time, and then vanilla and lemon juice, mixing until smooth and combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- If not using immediately, frosting can be refrigerated up to 3 days in an airtight container. Bring to room temperature again before using.
Whoopie Pie Assembly:
- Fill a piping bag fitting with a star tip with your cream cheese frosting.
- Flip one of your Chocolate Whoopie Pies over so the bottom is facing up. Starting from the perimeter, frost your Whoopie pie, working your way in, until the entire circumference is frosted.
- Gently press the bottom side of another Whoopie pie on top, creating a “sandwich”. Use the remaining cream cheese frosting to pipe football laces onto the top of each Whoopie pie.
Homemade Dirty Chai Latte Recipe:
- Brew chai tea bag in boiling water. Remove tea bag
- Pour coffee over tea.
- Put milk in a mason jar or plastic container with lid. Shake until frothy.
- Remove lid and microwave for 30 seconds. Pour milk into mug over tea and coffee, using a spoon to hold back the foam.
- Then scoop the foam onto the top of the drink.
- Top with a dash of cinnamon. Sweeten with sugar if desired.