Kick Butt Chili
• 3 onions, finely chopped
• 4 garlic cloves, minced • 5 tablespoons chili powder • 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped • 2 teaspoons ground coriander • 2 tablespoons ground cumin • 2 cups organic beef stock (boxed or canned) • 1-cup dark beer • 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes • ½ cup fresh roasted corn or canned corn • 1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained • 1 15-ounce can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained • 1-tablespoon masa • Kosher slat • Cracked pepper • Your favorite corn bread (optional)
• 1-¼ cups sour cream • ½ cup chopped scallions • ¼ cup chopped cilantro • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese • 2 ½ teaspoons hot red chili flakes • 1 cup crushed tortilla chops • 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped or sliced
- Heat a cast-iron frying pan or heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of canola oil and half of the meat, and brown for about 8 minutes.
- Pour the meat into a strainer positioned over a bowl, and let the fat drain.
- Set the strained meat aside. Wipe down the frying pan using a paper towel, cleaning off the residual oil and bits of beef from the bottom. Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in the frying pan and cook and drain the remaining beef using the same process. Discard the drained fat.
- Put the beef in the crock pot.
- Add 12-ounces of pinto beans and 12-ounces of black beans that have been soaked over night. Canned beans will turn into a mushy paste in a Crock Pot, so be sure to use dry beans.
- Add the beef stock, beer, and tomatoes on top of that.
- Add all of the spices, onions, garlic, and jalapeno.
- Simmer on low for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add masa and fresh corn at the very end and allow to thicken for 5 minutes.
You can make this up to 3 days ahead of time. The flavors of the chili will develop more as it marinates. The day of all you have to do is pull your chili out and heat it up!
Garnish with sour cream, scallions, cilantro, grated cheddar cheese, red hot chili flakes, chopped jalapeno, and crushed up tortilla chips for a nice crunch!
Turn the Crock Pot to the lowest setting possible to keep the chili warm throughout the day without over cooking it!
Queso Dip Recipe:
• 1 10-ounce cans Ro*Tel Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, undrained
• 2 16-ounce cans refried beans • 1-teaspoon oregano • ½ teaspoon ground cumin • ½ teaspoon garlic powder • 1 4-ounce can Pasilla Peppers • 1 16-ounce packages Velveeta Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut into ½-inch cubes
- Combine undrained tomatoes and cheese, refried beans and spices in medium saucepan.
- Simmer over low heat until cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended, turn Crock Pot to lowest setting to keep warm all day.
- Serve warm as a dip with tortilla chips, crackers or cut-up fresh vegetables.
Spinach & Artichoke Recipe:
• 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
• ¾ cup half-and-half • 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped • 1 garlic clove, minced • 1 10-ounce bag frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained • 1 13-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, rinsed drained and chopped • ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded • ⅔ cup Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Combine cream cheese and half and half in a bowl until well blended.
- Add all ingredients except Monterey jack and stir well.
- Pour mixture into crock-pot, cook on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until warmed through.
- Sprinkle the Monterey Jack cheese on top and enjoy!
Want You Own Crock-Pot® Hook Up™ Connectable Entertaining System? Here are just some of the exciting features:
o Leave it to Crock-Pot®, the original and leading slow cooker brand, to pioneer the ultimate system for year-round entertaining! o The Crock-Pot® Hook Up™ Connectable Entertaining System is a first-of-its-kind innovation that lets you entertain your way, creating flavorful meals for the way we live and entertain today. o This customizable, scalable slow cooking system allows you to connect up to 6 individual units to create the most fabulous entertaining spread, personalized to guests’ tastes or needs. o Whether hosting an intimate gathering of friends or a lavish soiree, the Crock-Pot® Hook Up™ Connectable Entertaining System can be tailored to suit your needs on any given day. o Customize your system according to your preference, choosing from connectable units in a variety of sizes, configurations and colors. All are sold individually and may be used together or apart! Individual units start at just $39.99. o To make things even easier, each unit has individual temperature settings for slow cooking your favorite meals and keeping them warm. All have removable stoneware crocks and lids which aredishwasher safe. What’s more, storage is a breeze because all the units are stackable! o BONUS… This versatile system lets you spend more time with guests and less time in the kitchen! You can literally prepare a multi-course meal and still enjoy the party. Unheard of until now! Just start the cooking process on all your dishes long before guests arrive and you’ll be finished and fabulous in time for the party! Another party idea: Ask friends & family to bring their own dishes and hook ‘em all up!
D-I-Y entertaining can be fabulous and easy with the right tools, like the Crock-Pot® Hook Up™ Connectable Entertaining System. Custom create yours; now available at Target, Wal-Mart, Bed Bath & Beyond and other major retailers. Visit Crock-Pot.com to learn more and to check out other fantastic entertaining/slow cooker products. Remember, if it doesn’t say Crock-Pot®, it’s not the original!
And make sure you visit us on pinterest at www.pinterest.com/homeandfamilytv.