Creamy Bacon Bucatini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ lb. pancetta or unsmoked bacon, finely chopped
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 whole dried chili or ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 fl oz) almond milk, unsweetened original
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 28 oz can chopped san marzano tomato
- 1 pound bucatini or perciatelli
- ¼ cup finely grated Sarvecchio parmesan, plus more for garnish
1) Heat the olive in a large sauté pan or saucepot over medium heat.
2) Add the pancetta or bacon and cook, stirring often until well browned.
3) Stir in the onions, garlic and chili and cook until aromatic, but not browned.
4) Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook one minute more. The flour should be completely absorbed.
5) Stir in the almond and mix well. Continue stirring until the milk comes to a simmer and thickens.
6) Add the oregano, basil and tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
7) Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
8) Cook until thickened (about 10 minutes). Turn the heat off and wait for the pasta to be ready.
9) Bring a large pot of salted water to a rapid boil. Drop the pasta into the boiling water and stir immediately. Leave the pasta to cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 10 to12 minutes.
10) Transfer the cooked pasta along with ½-1 cup of the pasta water to the pan with the sauce.
11) Return the pan to a simmer and cook 1 minute more. Add more of the pasta water if the sauce becomes too thick.
12) Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
13) Divide the pasta between bowls and top with more cheese.
Get more information about this episode >>
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page