Chef Jet Tila and His Mom Mary Tila Cook Pineapple Fried Rice
- 1 Pineapple
- 3 tbsp. Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp. Dried Shrimp (Thai)
- 4-6 Garlic Cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp. Shallots, diced
- 4 oz. Chinese Sausage, sliced thin
- 4-6 Medium Shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 1/2 tbsp. Ginger, finely chopped
- 4 cups Day-old Rice
- 2-3 tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 1-2 tbsp. Thai Soybean Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp. Curry Powder
- 2-3 Green Onions, chopped
- 2 tsp. White Pepper
- 3 tbsp. Cilantro Leaves
Day old rice is best for fried rice, because it keeps the rice from sticking, which means less oil is used, keeping the fat and calories down. **Brown rice can be used to increase the nutritional value.
Cooking Technique: Use the flat wok shovel and push the rice down in a circular motion in order to not break the rice. (It's bad juju and looks bad to break rice.) Use a carbon steel wok so you can scrape the pan down. Non-stick is not healthy with very high temp cooking. *Don't be discouraged if you don't have a wok for Asian cooking, a deep skillet or Dutch oven makes a perfect wok.
There's a specific order when adding ingredients to make perfect fried rice. Starting with oil then adding aromatics, protein, vegetables, rice, and sauce.
- Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise and cut out the fruit section. Then, remove the core and cut the fruit into medium dices. Reserve about one cup of pineapple for the fried rice.
- In a large skillet, heat oil until a wisp of white smoke appears. Then, add the dried shrimp and fry until crispy for about 20 seconds.
- Stir in garlic and shallots. Cook until light brown.
- Add the Chinese sausage and cook until they are slightly crisp for about 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and ginger. Cook until the shrimp start to turn pink, about 1 minute.
- Fold in rice; make sure not to break rice grains.
- Add in the fish sauce, soybean sauce, sugar, and curry powder; continue to stir for about a minute.
- Stir in pineapple and incorporate well.
- Cook the fried rice for about 1 to 2 more minutes, folding constantly and mixing all the ingredients well.
- Fold in green onions and white pepper.
- Transfer the fried rice into the halved pineapple, garnish with fresh cilantro, and enjoy!
Get more great crafts and recipes from "Home & Family" on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/hallmarkchannel.