- 4 Sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter
- 1 Bulb fennel, thinly shaved with a mandoline
- ¼ Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 sprigs of fresh tarragon
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 pound mussels, well cleaned
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- 3 cups dry white wine
- ¼ cup chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1 baguette, sliced and toasted in the oven
Total Time: 20 minutes
- In a large shallow pot 14 to 16 inches wide, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the shaved fennel, red pepper flakes, tarragon, rosemary, thyme, and garlic.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Throw in the mussels and season with the salt.
- Add the sugar to the pan and turn the mussels over to coat them.
Learn more about Chef Antonia Lofaso by visiting her website,