Winterfest 2019 Recipes
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 lb. of picadillo (seasoned ground beef)
- vegetable oil
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 limes, juiced – a little over ½ cup of juice
- 1 medium sized bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeños seeded and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
Directions for Papa Rellenas
1. Boil potatoes until they are fully cooked. Drain and Mash potatoes with the salt about 1 tablespoon of warm milk and let cool enough to handle.
2. Grab a handful and form into a little bowl in your hand. Place ground beef in “bowl” and cover with mashed potatoes to the size of a small baseball
3. Mix together the bread crumbs and the flour.
4. Dip the ball into the beaten egg, and then roll in the flour mixture until lightly covered. Dip the ball in the egg again and roll in the bread crumbs to coat thoroughly.
5. Refrigerate the balls for about 3 hours
6. Use a frying pan with enough oil to cover half the ball at a time. Heat oil to the frying stage (about 375º F) and drop each papa rellena into the hot oil. Let it cook for about two minutes or until golden brown. Turn the balls and cook the other half in the same way.
Directions for Avocado Sauce
Combine all the ingredients in a blender; it helps the blending process if the avocados are in small chunks and the cilantro is lightly chopped. I also recommend crushing the garlic before putting it in the blender to ensure no one gets a surprise large piece of garlic. Blend until you have a smooth sauce.