Ingredients for the Pie dough:
- 3 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup ice water
- 8 ounces cold butter, cut into cubes. Keep refrigerated
Ingredients for the Apple Filling:
- 6-8 Granny Smith apples (about 3.5 pounds)
- 3/4 Cup sugar + 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon White Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Juice of one Lemon
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Butter
Directions for the Pie dough:
- In a food processor mix the dry ingredients with the cold butter pulsing five times for about 10 seconds each time.
- Slowly add ¾ cup of the water.
- Stop when the flour has blended enough that the flour butter mixture look like frozen peas.
- Add the rest of the water if the dough still looks dry.
- Turn the dough unto a flat surface and press the mixture to form the dough into a disc.
- Turn the dough over a couple times (but do not knead) until it stays together.
- Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour.
Directions for the Filling and assembly:
- Peel and core the apples. Cut them into ½" slices.
- Combine the apples with ¾ cup of sugar, spices, vanilla and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Heat up a large sauté pan on medium heat; melt the butter and add the apples. Raise the heat to medium-high, stirring constantly, until the apples are tender.
- While the apples are still cooking, slowly sprinkle the cornstarch and sugar mixture onto the apples to thicken the liquid.
- Continue to stir. Remove from the heat and allow the cooked apples to cool to room temperature before filling your pie. Filling can be made the day before assembling and baking your pie.
- Next, take the dough from the refrigerator and divide in half. Roll the disc onto a your floured surface. Place one rolled half in the bottom of a 9” glass pie pan.
- Fill with cooked apple filling and place second half of dough on top. Pinch top and bottom dough together to form a seal.
- Cut “vents” in your pie top, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar to get a shiny, golden crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 45-60 towards the bottom of your oven to ensure the bottom crust is cooked.
- **Set your timer for 15 minutes during cooking time and rotate and repeat the process. The pie will yield 8-10 portions.