Valentine's Day Recipes
You will need heart-shaped pancake molds
• 3 medium small red beets
• 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
• 1 cup almond flour
• 1 ½ tbsp dark brown sugar
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• ½ tsp sea salt
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 3 large eggs, beaten
• ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted + 1 tbsp for frying
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Place beets in a baking dish with ½ cup water in the bottom. Cover with foil and bake for one hour, or until tender. Cool, peel and puree the beets in a food processor until smooth. You will be using ½ cup of the puree. You can freeze the remainder for future batches of pancakes!
- Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk and eggs together. Add the coconut oil and whisk again. Finally whisk in the beet puree. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Melt the coconut oil in a cast iron pan, and when it’s sizzling place heart shaped pancake molds* in the pan. Fill the molds with batter. When you see bubbles forming on top, carefully wiggle the molds off the pancakes, and flip them. Serve with Cashew Cream and a little warm maple syrup.
* Be sure to grease the pancake molds first.
Cashew Cream Ingredients:
• 2 cups raw whole cashew nuts
• ¼ cup maple syrup
• 1tsp vanilla essence
- Rinse the cashews and place in a glass bowl.
- Cover with water and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to use, rinse them and place in a high speed blender (Vitamix ideal) with ½ inch of water covering them.
- Blend to a smooth consistency. Add the syrup and the vanilla. If you want to make your "cream" a little thinner, add another couple of tablespoons of cold water.
Check Sophie out at SophieUliano.com. Follow Sophie Uliano on Twitter @SophieUliano or find her on Facebook at