Here’s the bold craveable flavor combination of olive oil-sautéed garlic, aromatic fresh ginger and crushed red pepper flakes added to mashed Yukon gold potatoes for this new fall take on a comfort food classic.
Ginger Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes
Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled
- ¾ cup milk, warm
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat; add potatoes, reduce heat to medium-low and cook potatoes until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain immediately.
- Over a large bowl, press drained potatoes through a potato ricer; add milk and 4 tablespoons butter to bowl. Stir until smooth and creamy.
- Using a mortar and pestle, mash garlic, ginger and salt to a paste-like consistency. Heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a small skillet. Add garlic-ginger paste, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Heat over medium-low heat for 1 minute, or until garlic-ginger mixture is soft and fragrant (not browned). Remove from heat; add green onions and parsley.
- Stir mixture into mashed potatoes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve warm.