Puddings go back at least to the 16th century, when they were more like a cake with a hard sauce. This recipe is a delightful update that tastes like a molten lava cake, with half the work!
Chocolate Brownie Pudding
Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ¾ cups boiling water
- Optional: ¾ cup chopped nuts
- Optional topping: Ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour, 2 T. cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and granulated sugar).
- Add oil, milk, and vanilla.
- If adding nuts, add them to the batter (they are optional).
- Spread into greased 8 x 8 pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
- Sprinkle over top of batter in pan.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil; once boiling, pour it evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake 40-45 minutes.
- Serve warm as is, or with a scoop of ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.