Spring Fever Recipes
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup salted butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups fondant
- 8 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- 1 tsp dark sprinkles
- Chocolate eggs with candy shell – about ½ inch wide (i.e. Hershey’s mini chocolate eggs, Cadbury mini chocolate eggs)
- 2 tsp cocoa powder mixed with 2-4 tsp vodka
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar.
3. Mix in all of the wet ingredients.
4. Using a stand mixer slowly add in the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until combined.
5. Pour into papered cupcake pan and bake at 350F for about 15 minutes.
FOR THE BUTTERCREAM:
1. In a small bowl melt the cream and chocolate then set aside to cool.
2. Cream the butter until light and fluffy
3. Add the confectioners' sugar in while mixing and then add the cream in. Mix until smooth.
4. Separate about a 1/4 of the buttercream into a bowl and beat with the room temperature melted chocolate. Add to a piping bag fitted with a 133 tip.
5. Color the remaining mixture with green food coloring and add to a piping bag fitted with a 133 tip.
FOR THE CHICKS:
1. Add orange food coloring to about 2 tbsp of the fondant and fold until mixed in. Roll out to an 1/8 inch thickness and cut into small diamonds. lightly impress a line across the short end of the diamond and fold to a right angle.
2. Add yellow food coloring to about 1 3/4 cups of the fondant and fold until mixed in. Take about a teaspoon of the yellow fondant and roll into a sphere.
3. Add two dark sprinkles to the head for the eyes then add the beak. You can brush a small amount of water onto any area that is not sticking.
4. Pipe the grass using the green buttercream and a 133 tip. Pipe a nest on top using the chocolate buttercream and a 133 tip. Place two to three chicks in each nest and enjoy!
FOR THE SPECKLED CHOCOLATE EGGS (OPTIONAL: USE IN PLACE OF FONDANT CHICKS):
1. Mix well: 2 tsp cocoa powder with 2-4 tsp vodka
2. Dip a small brush into the mixture and flick onto your candy covered chocolate eggs.
3. Allow to dry, then place in nest.