- 2 oz Unsalted Butter
- 1 ⅓ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- ⅔ teaspoon Salt
- 2 ¾ cup Half and Half
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅔ cup Butterscotch Chips
- 2 packets of Gelatine Powder
- ½ cup cold milk
- In a small bowl, combine the gelatine and cold milk. Set aside to bloom.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter, salt and brown sugar together, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-high heat until an even dark brown, just before it starts to smoke.
- Immediately add the half and half very slowly, whisking constantly. Continue whisking as the mixture comes back to a simmer.
- Add about a half cup of the simmering half and half mixture to the egg yolks in a small bowl, whisking constantly. Then return the warm egg yolk/dairy mixture back to the pot and whisk thoroughly. Cook on medium heat until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the butterscotch chips to the pot. Whisk to combine. Add the bloomed gelatine/milk mixture and whisk to combine. Strain the pudding through a fine mesh sieve and place plastic wrap directly on top to prevent a skin forming on the surface. Refrigerate until completely cool, at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, put the cold pudding in a food processor and pulse it until smooth and silky. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream, a little chocolate sauce and a pinch of maldon sea salt with your favorite shortbread cookie.
Get more information about this episode >>