- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup extra-light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups very hot water
The flavors in this pudding cake are deep and rich, thanks to the dark brown sugar, cocoa, cinnamon and espresso powder. We thought this was a good opportunity to sneak in some whole-wheat flour for health reasons, figuring that any "wheaty" flavor would go unnoticed. However, if you don’t happen to have any whole wheat flour around, just use all-purpose white flour.
Total Time: 55 minutes Hands Time: 15 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, 1/4 cup of the cocoa powder, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon of the espresso powder and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. Set the brown sugar mixture aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, powdered milk, the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons cocoa, remaining 2 tablespoons espresso, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the baking powder and cinnamon. 3. In a 1-cup measure, combine the liquid milk, oil and vanilla. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined. 4. Scrape the batter into an ungreased 9-inch square baking pan and spread it evenly. 5. Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over the batter. Pour the hot water on top and bake for 40 minutes, or until the top is set and the mixture is bubbling. 6. Serve the cake warm or room temperature. Makes 8 servings.