- ½ Cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
RECIPE BY DAN KOHLER, 10/7/19
YIELD: 24 COOKIES
1. Preheat oven to 350ºf (180ºc).
2. Line an ungreased cookie sheet with parchment paper (optional).
3. With a hand or stand mixer, cream butter and shortening until creamy and well combined (about 2 minutes).
4. Add sugar and mix till creamy and fluffy (about 1 minute).
5. Add the pinch of salt, vanilla and almond extract. Mix to combine.
6. With mixer on medium low, mix in the flour by ¼ cup.
7. The mixture will look coarse and that’s what we want!
8. Take a tablespoon of the cookie dough and form it into a ball and place it on the cookie sheet.
9. With your thumb, press on the cookie to flatten it slightly and create a little “well.” Don’t worry if they crack on the sides,
they will turn out pretty.
10. In the little well, drop a piece of guava paste or sprinkles.
11. Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. After 10 minutes, check the cookies for doneness. The cookies will not brown on top, but the sides will get golden brown and that’s what you want.
12. Place them on a cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes.