In South Beach Love, when two chefs, Tony and Sara, each cater a quinceañera on the same weekend, a local reporter positions them as culinary rivals. But the truth is, Tony and Sara are well on their way to a sweet romance. Here’s the recipe for Tony’s tres leches cake, delicious enough for a fancy occasion…but no occasion is required.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 box white cake mix
1 ¼ cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup mashed bananas (2 medium)
1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup coconut milk
3 cups heavy cream, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup powdered sugar
toasted coconut for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom of a 13x9-inch pan.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, blend cake mix, water, vegetable oil, eggs, and bananas on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl and raise speed to medium for 2 minutes. Pour into pan.
3. Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes.
4. With a long-tined fork, pierce the top of cake every ½ inch. In a medium bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, coconut milk, and 1 cup heavy cream. Pour over cake evenly.
5. Refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to overnight, covered.
6. Whip remaining cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar on high until think. Cut cake into 12 pieces, top with a dollop of whipped cream and toasted coconut. Serve.