- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces queso blanco cheese
- 2 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounches uncooked elbow macaroni (4 cups cooked macaroni)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Japanese bread crumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying (as needed)
- 8 mini slider rolls, sliced for sandwiches
- 8 slices roast turkey, warm
1. Combine heavy cream, queso blanco cheese and shredded Cheddar in a heavy saucepan; heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is completely melted.
2. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add warm cheese sauce to cooked macaroni and stir until blended. Cover and chill overnight or until completely chilled.
4. Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, shape chilled mac & cheese into meatball-sized balls; press into pattie-shaped bites.
5. Dust each lightly with flour; shake excess. Dredge each in egg mixture; drain excess. Roll each in breadcrumbs; shake excess. (Mac & cheese bites can be made ahead and refrigerated up to this step.)
6. To prepare mac & cheese bites: heat oil in deep fryer or deep heavy saucepan to 350°F or until oil is shimmering. Working in several smaller batches, carefully add breaded bites to oil and deep fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until light golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining mac & cheese bites.
7. To prepare sliders: layer 1 slice turkey and 1 warm mac & cheese bite on bottom half of each slider roll; close each with top half of roll and press lightly to secure.