Mini Rhubarb Pies
In Behind the Frame, it’s tradition for the Shepherd sisters to take turns cooking a delicious Sunday dinner for the whole family. At one Sunday dinner, Skylar makes mini rhubarb pies for dessert that the whole family enjoys before delving deeper into the investigation of a terrible murder. You can make this Shepherd sisters favorite for your family or friends, and it just might become their favorite, too.
· Prep Time: 20 minutes
· Cook Time: 50 minutes
· Serves: 4
· 4 10-inch pie crusts, refrigerated, unbaked
· 1 cups fresh rhubarb cut in ½-inch pieces
· 1 cup sugar
· 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
· Pinch of cardamom
· ½ teaspoon of freshly ground nutmeg
· 1 tablespoon of orange zest
· ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven 375°F.
2. From each pie crust, cut a small circle to fit as the bottom crust in each of four 5.5’ pie plates. Cut long strips out of remaining pie dough about 1/2 an inch in width. Chill both while preparing filling.
3. In a large bowl, combine rhubarb, sugar, flour, cardamom, nutmeg, orange zest and juice. Stir to distribute ingredients evenly.
4. Fill each pie dish with filling, mounding each one full. Using chilled strips, criss-cross them over each pie making a lattice pattern. Trim excess dough from sides of pies and then crimp the edges together.
5. Brush outsides of pies with beaten egg. Bake 50 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Let cool and serve.