A Hallmark Original Recipe
In A Simple Wedding, life hands Jenny a few lemons. But her visits to Nick’s bakery—and her conversations with him—have a way of making even the sour moments sweet. These lemon bars are so easy, they’ll look and taste like they came from a professional bakery, and they’ll add pure sunshine to anyone’s day.
Yield: 24 bars (24 servings)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1 pinch kosher salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
6 large eggs
3 cups granulated sugar
¾ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 cup flour
as needed confectioner’s sugar
as needed, candied lemon peel (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch by 13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, ½ cup sugar and salt in food processor; pulse to blend. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and pulls away from sides of processor bowl; press shortbread crumbs into baking pan. Bake uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes.
3. While crust is baking, combine eggs and 3 cups sugar in bowl and whisk to blend. Add lemon juice and flour; whisk until blended. Pour filling over warm crust.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until filling is set. Cool; cut into 24 bars. Dust bars lightly with confectioner’s sugar. Garnish each bar with a piece of candied lemon, peel if desired.
5. To prepare candied lemon peel: using a vegetable peeler, slice the outer rinds of 3 lemons into thin strips. Combine with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, drain and repeat. Combine drained lemon peel with 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Drain and cool candied lemon peel; toss in sparkling sugar.