In "A Christmas to Remember" Maggie/Jennifer proclaims, “Dinner is ready,” as she brings an amazing platter to the table. “It’s a holiday roast with root vegetables,” she says. “You are a really, really, good cook,” says John, as the family looks on in awe of her culinary talents. Impress your family with this delicious rosemary roast beef surrounded with olive oil and herb-roasted potatoes and root vegetables, and make some memories of your own.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Rosemary Roast Beef:
¼ cup olive oil, divided
1 (3 to 4 pound) boneless ribeye roast
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon kosher salt
½ tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
Roasted Root Vegetables:
1 bag (1½ pounds) fingerling potatoes, halved
1 pound rainbow carrots, peeled
2 golden (or red) beets, skin-on, trimmed
½ red onion, peeled, cut into wedges
3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
1. To prepare roast beef: place a large heavy ovenproof skillet (such as cast iron) in oven and preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
2. When oven is heated, remove hot skillet and place on stovetop over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to skillet and heat until oil is shimmering; add roast and sear on all sides to brown (about 5 minutes). Remove skillet from heat.
3. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F.
4. Combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and black pepper in small bowl and mix to blend; spread evenly over top of browned roast.
5. Transfer skillet to 350 degrees F. oven and roast uncovered for 75 to 90 minutes, or until meat thermometer reads 135 degrees F. (medium-rare) or to desired doneness. Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
6. To prepare roasted root vegetables: toss vegetables in olive oil to coat, season with salt, black pepper and thyme. Arrange oiled vegetables on a baking sheet.
7. Roast root vegetables uncovered for 60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork and potatoes are golden, turning occasionally. Remove from oven. Let beets cool slightly; using a paring knife, remove skins and slice each beet in quarters.
8. To serve: Slice roast beef and arrange on a large platter. Surround roast beef with roasted vegetables. Garnish platter with rosemary sprigs, if desired.