A Hallmark Original Recipe
In Love By Chance, these tarts are a specialty at Claire’s bakery. After she meets a handsome doctor named Eric at an art gallery fundraiser, they start dating... and he sends more customers her way. Claire and Eric just click, and she feels so lucky that they happened to meet. It must’ve been fate...or was it?
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Coconut Crumb Crust:
2½ cups coconut cookie crumbs, (crisp coconut cookies crushed in a food processor) or crushed graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ cup + 2 tablespoons melted butter
5 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
¼ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
¼ cup cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez or Coco Real)
1 tablespoon fresh grated lime zest
¾ cup whipped cream
2 tablespoons shaved or shredded sweetened coconut
6 fresh-cut lime wedges
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray six 4-inch fluted tart pans or one 9-inch fluted tart pan with cooking spray.
2. To prepare coconut crumb crust: combine crushed cookie crumbs or graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in a bowl. Mix with a fork until crumbs are evenly blended with butter.
3. Press crumbs evenly over the bottom and sides of each tart pan to form a ¼-inch thick crust. Arrange tart pans on a baking sheet and bake uncovered for 8 to 10 minute, or until golden. Remove from oven and cool.
4. To prepare coconut cream-lime tarts: combine egg yolks, lime juice, sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut in the top pan of a double boiler; whisk until completely blended. Place over bottom half of double boiler, filled with simmering water. Cook over medium low-heat, whisking constantly, for about 5 minutes or until custard filling is steaming hot. Increase heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes or until filling is starting to bubble, stirring frequently. Add lime zest and stir until blended.
5. Spoon filling evenly into prepared tart crusts. Refrigerate uncovered until tarts are completely chilled and filling is firm (about 4 to 6 hours).
6. To serve: top each chilled tart with a dollop of whipped cream, a sprinkle of shaved coconut and a lime wedge.