A Hallmark Original Recipe
In Wrapped Up In Christmas, one of the ladies at Sarah’s church is famous for her cinnamon bread recipe. Others attempt to copy it without success. Here’s that secret recipe, filled with cinnamon and covered with yummy icing. The trick to beautiful swirls is in folding the dough into thirds so you get an extra layer of the delicious cinnamon-sugar blend. This bread is perfect for a Christmas celebration, like Sarah and Bodie enjoy together, or for any time of year.
Yield: 2 loaves (16 servings) Prep Time: 3 hours
Bake Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 45 minutes
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature - 4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated white sugar
- 11⁄2 tablespoons ground cinnamon - 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Vanilla Cream Cheese Spread:
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature - 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- To prepare dough: combine warm water, 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes or until foamy.
- While yeast is activating, combine milk and
butter in small saucepan and heat briefly to melt butter. Remove from heat; cool.
- Combine flour, 1⁄4 cup sugar, and salt in mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until fully blended.
- Add milk/butter mixture and egg to yeast mixture and gently stir to blend. Slowly add to flour mixture and beat until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface; knead dough for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl that’s either buttered or sprayed with cooking spray, cover loosely, and set in a warm, draft- free spot to rise for about 60 to 75 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Gently punch dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Fold in the two outer sides of dough to meet in the middle, then fold in the upper and lower sides of dough to meet in the middle, forming the dough into a square shape. Cover loosely and let stand for 10 minutes.
- To prepare cinnamon sugar: while dough is resting, combine brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon in small bowl and mix to blend. Heat butter in microwave-safe measuring cup for 30 to 45 seconds, or until melted. Reserve.
- Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans with butter or cooking spray.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 26x12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured
surface. Brush top of dough with melted butter; sprinkle 2/3 of cinnamon sugar blend evenly over dough. Slice dough in half, forming two 13x12-inch halves.
- For each half: fold dough into thirds, forming a 4x12-inch rectangle. Pinch outer edges of dough gently to seal seams. Roll dough out into a 7x13-inch rectangle. Brush top of dough lightly with butter and sprinkle half of remaining cinnamon sugar blend evenly over the top. Starting at long end of dough, roll up jelly roll-style. Place, seam side down, in buttered loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover loaf pans loosely with film wrap; let rise in a warm draft-free place for 1 hour, or until almost doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400oF.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Cover each loaf pan loosely with aluminum foil during last 20 minutes to prevent over- browning. Remove loaf pans from oven; cool for 5 minute, gently remove bread from loaf pans.
- To prepare vanilla cream cheese spread: combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk in bowl and whisk until smooth. Add additional milk, as needed, to form a spread-like consistency.
- Serve cinnamon bread warm with cream cheese spread.