In A Royal Christmas Wish, Jenny wakes up to find herself married to a real-live prince. As she attempts to navigate the royal lifestyle—with less-than-successful results—she does miss a few things about her old life in New York City, including the chicken shawarma from the place around the corner. Our recipe for it is so delicious, it’s fit for a princess. Make it once, and you’ll be craving it, too!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, smashed
3 large or 4 average boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, fine minced
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Marinated Cucumber Salad:
1 cup halved grape tomatoes
½ cup thin sliced cucumber
½ cup drained chick peas
¼ cup thin sliced red onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon black pepper
8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
4 naan (or pita or flatbread), warmed on grill, in oven or in a skillet
¼ cup spicy hummus
As needed, flatleaf (Italian) parsley, chopped
4 grilled lemon halves (optional)
1. To prepare spice rubbed chicken: combine dry spices, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic in a large bowl (or zip-lock bag) and stir to blend.
2. Slice chicken into thin 2-inch pieces: place in bowl with spice rub and toss to evenly coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. To prepare garlic-cumin sauce: combine all ingredients in bowl and whisk to blend. Refrigerate.
4. To prepare marinated cucumber salad: combine in ingredients in bowl and toss to blend. Refrigerate.
5. Heat grill to medium heat. While grill is heating, thread spice rubbed chicken pieces evenly on bamboo skewers.
6. Grill chicken skewers for 10 minutes, or until fully cooked, turning frequently.
To assemble chicken shawarma: spread each piece of naan with hummus. Top evenly with marinated cucumber salad, spice rubbed chicken skewers and garlic-cumin sauce. Garnish with chopped flatleaf parsley and a grilled lemon half, if desired.