At the beginning of A Dash Of Love, Nikki flavors her delicious chili with a secret ingredient: cinnamon candies. These really do add the perfect touch of spice and sweetness to a recipe you’ll make again and again.
Beef Chili with Cinnamon
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3½ hours
3 lb. beef chuck roast
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 large onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. chili powder
1½ tbsp. ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 (10-oz.) cans diced tomatoes & green chilies
1 (14½-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (12-oz.) bottle dark beer (such as stout)
1 (16-oz.) can chili beans
1 (16-oz.) can kidney beans, drained
2 tbsp. cinnamon flavored candies
as needed, sour cream
as needed, fresh diced avocado
as needed, green onions, chopped
as needed, tortilla chips
as needed, fresh cilantro sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Slice chuck roast into bite-size cubes, trimming excess fat as needed; season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven. Add beef and brown over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until all moisture has evaporated and beef is browned. Remove from pot and set aside.
4. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pot; add onion and saute over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add bell pepper and garlic; saute an additional 5 minutes.
5. Add browned beef back to pot; add spices and stir to blend. Add beer and diced tomatoes; stir to blend.
6. Cover and transfer pot to oven; oven-bake for 2½ hours.
7. Remove from oven; add beans and cinnamon candies. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
8. Serve chili topped with sour cream, avocado, green onions, tortilla chips and cilantro, if desired.