Asparagus and Wild Mushroom Risotto
A Hallmark Original Recipe
In The Story of Us, Jamie and Sawyer’s friend Rick can’t seem to tell his crush how he feels about her. More than once, he retreats to the kitchen to make risotto instead. Jamie and Sawyer aren’t especially good at putting their feelings for each other into words, either…and it doesn’t help that Sawyer’s retail development plan will mean the end of Jamie’s beloved bookstore! Our Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto is as easy as it is elegant. It would be perfect to serve to friends or as part of a romantic meal.
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
4 tablespoons butter, divided
8 ounces wild mushroom blend (such as cremini, portobello, shitake), trimmed, sliced
1-pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1½ cups arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and black pepper, as needed
2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan
Fresh Italian parsley, as needed
1. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a sauté pan; add mushrooms and cook over medium heat until all moisture has evaporated and mushrooms are golden brown. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a sauté pan; add asparagus and cook over medium-low heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, heat chicken broth to a low simmer. Keep warm.
4. Heat olive oil in a heavy 4-quart saucepan; add onions and garlic; cook over low heat for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add arborio rice and cook for 3 minutes or until grains are evenly coated and translucent around outer edges, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low.
Add white wine and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until all liquid is absorbed.
5. Ladle 1 cup hot chicken broth over rice and stir until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding broth, one ladle at a time, stirring frequently, until rice is tender yet firm to the bite and has a creamy appearance, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Add grated Parmesan, nutmeg, remaining butter, reserved asparagus and mushrooms; gently toss to blend. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
7. Serve risotto immediately garnished with shaved Parmesan and parsley.