Holiday Recipes - Side Dishes
- 4 cups fresh pumpkin, diced into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pound of macaroni, cooked according to package instructions (less 2 mins)
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter, melted
Directions for Roasted Pumpkin
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Season the pumpkin with salt and ground black pepper and toss in canola oil.
3. Evenly spread onto a baking sheet and roast until tender on the inside and golden brown on the outside, about 20-25 minutes.
Directions to Make the Cheese Sauce
1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter.
2. When the butter begins to bubble, stir in the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly so the garlic doesn’t burn.
3. Sprinkle the flour and powdered mustard over the butter and garlic and whisk for 60 seconds.
4. Whisk in the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Whisk in the milk, bay leaf and smoked paprika and simmer until the mixture begins to thicken, about 5-10 minutes.
6. Stir in the cheddar and Parmesan cheese until melted.
7. Fold in the cooked pasta and roasted pumpkin.
8. Transfer the pasta to a large baking dish.
Directions to Garnish and Bake
1. In a small bowl, toss the panko with the melted butter.
2. Sprinkle on top of the pasta and bake for another 15-18 minutes, until golden brown on top.
3. Serve immediately.