Holiday Recipes - Breakfasts
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pomegranate seeds for garnish
- 8 (1 inch thick) slices good-quality white bread, brioche, or egg bread such as challah
- 2 cups shelled pistachios, coarsely ground in a food processor fitted with steel blade
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 4 cups pomegranate seeds
- 1⁄2 cup Agave Syrup
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Steps for French Toast
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter one or two baking dishes large enough to accommodate the bread in one layer. In a large, wide bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg, salt, cinnamon, orange juice, and orange zest.
2. Heat a large, heavy, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or preheat a griddle. Oe by one, dip the bread into the egg mixture, turning it and making sure it's completely saturated. Carefully dip the slices into the ground pistachios, coating them evenly on both sides.
3. Add the oil to the pan and wipe with a paper towel. Carefully transfer as many pistachio-coated slices as will fit in the pan without crowding. Brown on each side, about 2 minutes per side, and transfer to the baking dish. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake 5-8 minutes.
4. To serve, cut each slice diagonally in half and arrange the triangles on heated serving plates. Spoon powdered sugar into a fine-mesh sieve and tap the sieve over each serving to dust it attractively with sugar (optional). Serve hot with pomegranate compote.
Steps for Pomegranate Compote
1. In a medium sauce- pan add pomegranate seeds, Agave Syrup, orange juice and bring to a boil on medium high heat for 5 minutes. Pass through a tight mesh strainer into a clean pot.
2. In a small glass bowl add 1 tablespoon of water with corn starch and mix until smooth, set aside.
3. Bring the strained pomegranate seeds to a boil again and pour in the cornstarch mixture, stir until the syrup has thickened slightly. Set aside.
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page