Holiday Recipes - Appetizers
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ pound unsalted butter, frozen and shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- Ice water
- ½ c. ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbs. confectioner sugar
- ¼ tsp. Fresh nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 3-4 Bartlett pears (peeled, cored and sliced)
- ¼ c. dried cranberries
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. white sugar
- ¼ c. sliced almonds
- 1 egg
1. Mix together flour and salt in a large bowl.
2. Using large side of grater, shred frozen butter and toss in with the flour mixture until evenly distributed.
3. Then spoon ice water, two tablespoons at a time, around the rim of the bowl and mix in with a fork. Repeat until mixture is just ready to knead…but not wet. It should still feel a bit dry. About 10 Tbs. of water should do the trick.
4. Turn out flour mixture onto work surface, divide in half. Knead each half no more than six turns…Dough should be ragged. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate (or freeze for later use).
5. Roll out dough to just over 1/8 of an inch thick. The edges can look ragged, and it doesn’t have to be a perfect circle. Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
Directions for Filling:
1. Stir ricotta and confectioner sugar together. Mix in nutmeg and cinnamon.
2. In a separate bowl combine the pear slices, brown sugar and cranberries.
Assemble the crostata:
1. Spread the ricotta filling around the dough, leaving 1 ½ inches along the edge for folding.
2. Place the pear mixture evenly on top of the ricotta.
3. Fold the edges of the dough around the edge of the pears.
4. Brush the folded portion of the crust with egg wash and sprinkle sugar on it.
5. Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of pears.
6. Bake in 425 degree oven for 20 minutes. Crust will be browned and almonds will be toasted when done.