Ingredients for the Cookies
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons prickly pear syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the Filling
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 8 tablespoons warm water
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons prickly pear syrup
- As needed red food coloring
Don’t worry about pricking yourself on these Prickly Pear Christmas Cactus Blossoms when you reach in—the prickly pear syrup makes for a unique flavor profile that adds a fun southwestern touch.
· Prep Time: 20 minutes
· Cook Time: 11 minutes
· Serves: 24
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
1. Mix vanilla, brown sugar, prickly pear syrup and butter together.
2. Add in eggs and blend well. Gradually add dry ingredients.
3. Portion tablespoons of cookie dough on cookie sheets.
4. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 9 to 11 minutes.
1. Combine ingredients, add red food coloring to desired shade, and pour over cookies on a wire rack.
2. Glaze will run off and evenly distribute across the cookie once they are flooded.