- 3 cups flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses
Gingerbread cookies are wonderful any time of year, but there’s something magical about them during the holidays. They’ve got to be one of the all-time great holiday cookies. Plus, Gingerbread will fill your house with the rich and spicy aromatics of gingerbread holiday cookies during the holidays! This flavorful cookie dough can be rolled and cutout in various shapes or can be used to make a gingerbread house that’s fun to decorate with frosting, candy and other edible treats.
· Prep Time: 75 minutes
· Cook Time: 10 minutes
· Serves: N/A
1. Sift flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove together.
2. In bowl or electric mixer, cream butter and dark brown sugar. Add the egg and molasses and mix until well incorporated. Gradually add the flour mixture and again mix until well incorporated.
3. Divide dough in half and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350F.
5. Roll dough to ¼–inch thickness on a lightly floured work station. (Note: If dough is wet and sticky, dust with flour and knead dough to work in flour. Repeat as necessary for a soft smooth dough.)
6. Use cookie cutters to make various shaped gingerbread cookies or cut out pieces to make a gingerbread house.
7. Bake gingerbread cut outs on parchment-lined sheet pan spaced ½-inch apart for 8 to 10 minutes. Let rest on cooling rack. Decorate as desired.