- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar plus ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cups whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon rum
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- additional nutmeg to sprinkle on top of finished bars
On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me . . . six Eggnog Bars! Or, take just one (if you can stop). These great bar cookies are rich with a custard layer that is unusual for a cookie. You can substitute brandy for the rum or use flavoring instead of alcohol. In a pinch, a little molasses mixed with water will replace the flavoring.
· Prep Time: 10 minutes
· Cook Time: 80 minutes
· Serves: 16
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line bottom and sides of a square baking pan with foil for ease in removing bars.
3. Mix together flour, sugar and butter.
4. Press into the bottom of the foil and bake for 20 minutes.
5. Reduce oven heat to 300°F.
6. Beat together egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until thick and golden.
7. Add cream, flavoring, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and mix thoroughly.
8. Pour over baked layer.
9. Return to oven and bake for 50 minutes.
10. Test custard by inserting a knife in the center; if it comes out clean custard is set.
11. Let cool, then sprinkle with additional nutmeg and remove foil.
12. Cut into bars and serve (refrigerate until serving).