Winterfest 2018 Recipes
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 bunch of golden beets with their greens, scrubbed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 pounds whole chicken legs
- ½ cup white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise. Rinse them, fanning out the outer layers to wash away any
grit. Slice the cleaned leeks into thin half-moons.
3. Remove the greens from the beets. Rinse them and coarsely chop. Halve the beets and cut
each section into four wedges.
4. In a large mixing bowl, toss the leeks, beets, and beet greens together with the garlic,
turmeric, ginger, salt, lemon juice, and olive oil until thoroughly combined. Spoon the mixture
into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish or casserole pan and arrange in an even layer.
5. Add the chicken to the mixing bowl and toss to coat in the remaining turmeric mixture.
Transfer the chicken legs to the baking dish and nestle in the beet mixture. Drizzle any of the
remaining marinade over the top of the chicken and pour the wine around the sides of the
6. Roast, uncovered, until the chicken is fork-tender and the beets are soft, about 1 hour.
HEALTHY HEDONIST TIPS
Whole chicken legs will be the most affordable option, as they require less labor at the
butcher counter. But you can sub boneless, skinless thighs if you like. It’s no longer the ’90s,
so we don’t have to feel bad about eating dark meat or chicken skin. And thank goodness for
that, because the added fat helps keep the meat juicy during extended stays in the oven.
Choose beets that are on the smaller side, about 2 inches in diameter. If you can’t find the
golden variety, try using a bunch of radishes or baby turnips with their greens instead. Red beets will create a very different final presentation—their color is intense! Scallions, ramps, and shallots will work in place of the leeks, or you can add a mix of all of the above for a vegetarian version.
Reprinted from The Wellness Project by arrangement with Pam Krauss Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2017, Phoebe Lapine LLC