Winterfest 2018 Recipes
- 3 Italian eggplants
- Canola or Olive oil for frying
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (ground to resemble sand)
- 2 cloves garlic (Finely Minced)
- ½ Cup water
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground fenugreek
- ½ Tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ Cup Fresh Flat Parsley (Chopped)
- ¼ Cup Pomegranate Seeds
- ¼ Cup Yogurt
- Frying Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Colander with bowl underneath
- Mixing Spoon
- Tablespoon for placing filling
1. Wash and cut each end off the eggplants. You don't need to peel them.
2. Cut lengthwise into ¼ in.-thick slices. You can do this with a mandolin, but a sharp knife will do.
3. Place the eggplant in a colander and sprinkle generously with salt.
4. Let stand at least 30 minutes, then rinse and dry with kitchen towel.
5. Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
6. Brown eggplant slices on both sides.
7. When both sides have turned a lovely golden brown, remove fried slices to a plate lined with paper towels.
8. Set them aside to cool.
9. In a food processor, grind walnuts to the consistency of coarse sand. Empty them into a mixing bowl.
9. Add garlic and water and stir to combine.
10. Add red wine vinegar, coriander, fenugreek, cayenne, and salt and stir to combine.
11. Allow to sit for 15 minutes and stir again. The liquids will soak into the walnuts and thicken the filling.
12. Lay the eggplant strips out on a board and spoon a layer of filling on one side of each eggplant strip.
13. Fold in half crosswise (enclosing the filling) and then in half again to
form a square pocket.
14. Arrange on a platter and sprinkle them with flat-leaf parsley, pomegranate seeds and drizzle with yogurt. Serve.