Spring Fling Recipes
- 2 Salmon Fillets (We like to use thin fillets, when possible. Easier to cook on the stove!
- 3/4 c Pearled Farro (Or really any hearty grain! If you have pearled barley, quinoa, or couscous on hand- they are delish options too!)
- Handful or two of Arugula (about 2 oz)
- 4 oz Baby beets (We LOVE candy stripe beets, but can't always find them, so our second choice is golden beets, but any kind will do)
- About 1 inch of fresh horseradish
- 1/4 c sour cream
1) Bring medium pot of salted water to boiling. Add beets and cook 25-30 minutes or until tender when pierced; drain and set aside. When the beets are cool enough, use a paper towel and your fingers to rub the skin off. Slice beets into thin rounds and set aside.
2) While the beets cook, heat another medium pot of water to boiling on high. Add farro to pot and cook 16-18 mins or until tender. (If using a different grain, cook according to package instructions.) When farro is cooked, drain and return to pot. Add arugula and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir so arugula wilts and add salt and pepper to taste.
3) While grain cooks, grate horseradish. Whisk together with sour cream in a small bowl and add salt and pepper to taste. (If fresh horseradish isn't handy, prepared horseradish can be substituted.)
4) Season salmon with salt and pepper on both sides. In medium pan, heat 2 tbsp butter over medium-high heat until hot. Add the fillets and cook about 3 mins per side, depending on thickness. (If using fillets with skin still on them- add the fillets to the pan skin side down. Cook for 5 minutes until the skin is nice and brown. Then flip and cook for 3 minutes on the other side.)
5) Plate by dividing farro and arugula between two dishes. Top with salmon, then a few sliced beets. Garnish with horseradish sour cream. Voila!
Check out more delicious recipes at the Home & Family Pinterest Page