Spicy Chicken, Tomato & Garlic Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned
- 2 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 16 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 3 yellow or red bell peppers, cut into small squares
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup rice
- 6 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (1 or 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon minced pickled jalapeno
You could certainly make this soup with chicken breast, but thighs have much more chicken flavor. And if you really like spicy food, then increase the cayenne and jalapeno, as this soup is sort of middle-of-the-road spicy.
Total Time: 50 minutes Hands Time: 15 minutes
1.In a large saucepan, combine the broth and water. Bring to a boil, add the chicken and garlic, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the chicken is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces.
2.With a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a food processor or blender along with 1/3 cup of the broth and puree until smooth. 3.Add the garlic puree to the pan along with the tomatoes, bell peppers, cumin, salt and cayenne. Bring to a boil, stir in the rice, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. 4.Return the chicken to the pan along with the cilantro, lime juice and jalapeño, and cook just until heated through, about 1 minute. Makes 6 servings.