Dilled Salmon Cakes
- 1 can (14.75 ounces) sockeye salmon, well drained
- 3/4 cup finely crumbled whole-grain bread (about 1-1/2 slices)
- 1/4 cup well-drained pickle relish
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
If you would prefer the taste of the salmon to dominate in these salmon cakes, cut the amount of relish, dill and scallions in half. You could also take some relish, dill and/or scallions and stir them into reduced-fat sour cream for a quick sauce to go with the salmon cakes.
MENU SUGGESTION: These cakes would be good with steamed sugar snap peas and roasted red potatoes. Total Time: 30 minutes Hands Time: 30 minutes
1. In a medium bowl, flake the salmon apart with a fork. Stir in the breadcrumbs, relish, dill, scallions, egg whites and pepper, and blend well. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the salmon cakes and cook until heated through and nicely browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side, turning carefully. Makes 4 servings.