Alex Hitz's Southern Cooking with a Twist
DOROTHY’S FRIED CHICKEN
Best fried chicken in the world.
• 1 fryer chicken (4 to 5 pounds), cut into 8 pieces, gizzard discarded
• 1 ½ teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons salt, divided
• ½ teaspoon plus 1/3 cup ground black pepper, divided
• 1 cup minced onion
• ½ cup minced garlic
• 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons dried oregano
• 2 tablespoons paprika
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 2 to 3 quarts vegetable oil for frying
• 4 eggs
• 3 cups milk
1. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry thoroughly
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, 1-½ teaspoons of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper, the onions and the garlic.
3. Toss these ingredients together thoroughly.
4. In a container big enough to hold all of the chicken pieces (a bowl preferably with a top, or a Rubbermaid container with a top, or a bowl that can be covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil), whisk together the flour, the remaining 2 tablespoons of salt, the remaining 1/3 cup black pepper, the dried oregano, paprika and chili powder.
5. In a very heavy, large pot or a deep skillet over medium heat bring the oil to 325F exactly; using an instant-read candy thermometer (a meat thermometer will not measure a high enough temperature.)
6. When the oil is heating, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, and milk. Pour them over the chicken and let it soak for at least 20 minutes.
7. Remove the chicken from the egg mixture and place it in the container in which you have mixed the dry ingredients.
8. Cover the container and shake the chicken until it is fully coated.
9. Remove the chicken pieces from the bowl and place them again in the egg mixture, tossing delicately to coat them, but not so much as to remove the coating.
10. Put the chicken back into the dry mixture, cover it, and shake it again. By now there should be a thick coating on the chicken.
11. Add the chicken to the oil in batches, and fry it until it is light brown, more than golden and the internal temperature is at least 155F per piece. This will take approximately 8-10 minutes for thighs, a little less for drumsticks and wings, and perhaps up to 15 minutes for breasts. It is very important to maintain the oil temperature at around 325F so that the chicken will not burn.
12. Drain it on a rack, let it rest for 15 minutes and then serve.
A healthy alternative to soul food!
• 2 cups blanched fresh broccoli (directions below), stems, florets, (Approximately one head) chopped
• 2 cups medium-diced Green cabbage
• 2 cups finely sliced red cabbage
• ¼ cup diced yellow bell peppers
• ¼ cup minced shallots
• ½ cup chopped fresh dill
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
• ¾ cup mayonnaise
• ½ cup sour cream
• ¾ teaspoon lemon juice
• ¾ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
1. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of salt for each quart of water.
2. Place 2 cups ice cubes in a large bowl.
3. Add the broccoli to the salted boiling water and blanch it for 1 minute, until it turns bright green.
4. Drain the broccoli in a colander
5. Quickly place the broccoli in the bowl with ice cubes to discontinue further cooking.
6. When cool, drain and dry the broccoli and then chop both, florets and stems.
7. In a large mixing bowl, combine the green and red cabbages, yellow peppers, shallots, dill, salt and pepper. Add the broccoli.
8. Add 1 cup of the dressing, stir the slaw very well, cover it and refrigerate it overnight.
9. The next day, you may need to add the remaining ½ cup of dressing for moisture before serving the slaw cold.
COCONUT PUDDING WITH CARAMEL SAUCE
COCONUT PUDDING INGREDIENTS
• 1 cup sweetened coconut
• 2 cups half and half
• 1 ½ cups sugar
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
• 1 cup cold water
• 1 teaspoon almond extract
• 2 ½ cups grated coconut (unsweetened, dried, softened in warm water, and measured after draining.)
• 3 cups heavy cream
• 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
• Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
CARAMEL SAUCE INGREDIENTS
• 2 tablespoons salted butter
• 1 pound light brown sugar
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Spread ½ cup sweetened coconut on a metal baking sheet and toast it for about 5 minutes until it is brown. Remove from the oven and reserve.
3. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring the half-and-half to a boil.
4. Whisk in the sugar and salt, and then transfer it to a large mixing bowl to let it cool slightly.
5. In a small mixing bowl, dissolve the gelatin in cold water. Whisk it into the half-and half and when the mixture is smooth, add the almond extract and the unsweetened coconut.
6. Whip the cream and the powdered sugar together until stiff peaks form.
7. Add about a quarter of the whipped cream to the coconut mixture to lighten it and then fold in the remaining whipped cream.
8. Pour the mixture into a mold or serving bowl, cover it, and refrigerate it overnight until its firm.
9. Before serving, top with toasted coconut and serve with warm caramel sauce.
CARAMEL SAUCE DIRECTIONS
1. In a heavy saucepan or double boiler over low heat, melt the butter, brown sugar, egg yolks, heavy cream and salt until the sugar has dissolved. Be careful not to burn the sugar.
2. Remove it from the heat, stir in the vanilla, and serve the sauce warm.
ALMOND RASPBERRY WHITE CHOCOLATE BARS
• 2 sticks (16 tablespoons salted butter) cold and cut into small pieces, plus more for the baking pan
• ½ cup powdered sugar
• 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flower
• ¾ teaspoon almond extract
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup sliced raw almonds
• 1 ¼ cups seedless raspberry jam
• 12 ounces white chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Butter a 9 X13 X 2 –inch metal baking pan
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, mix all of the ingredients slowly until coarse crumbs form.
4. Press the crumbs into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and bake the crust for 25 minutes, until it is golden brown and completely cooked through. Remove it from the oven and let it cool completely.
5. In a small mixing bowl toss the salt and almonds together.
6. Spread the jam evenly over the cooled crust, then add the white chocolate chips, and top with the salted almonds.
7. Bake the bars for 20 minutes; remove them from the oven and let cool.
For more from Alex, visit www.mybeverlyhillskitchen.com
Return to episode guide >>