Makes 9 Smores
• vegetable oil cooking spray (not olive oil)
• powdered sugar for dusting
• 2 tbsp (two ¼ oz/7g envelopes) unflavored gelatin
• ¾ cup (8oz/250g) pure maple syrup
• 1 ½ cups (12oz/375g) granulated sugar
• 4oz (125g) bittersweet (60% cacao) chocolate, chopped
• ½ cup (4 fl.oz/125 ml) heavy cream
• 9 graham crackers, snapped in half
1. Line the bottom of a 9-inch (23-cm) square baking dish with parchment paper or foil. Coat lightly with cooking spray and dust generously with powdered sugar.
2. Pour 1⁄2 cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) warm water into a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over and stir to dissolve.
3.In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the maple syrup and the granulated sugar. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture registers 240oF (116oC) on a candy or deep-frying thermometer. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer, if you have one. Add the dissolved gelatin. Using the paddle attachment, beat until stiff peaks form when you lift the beaters out, 10–12 minutes. If you don’t have a stand mixer, use a handheld mixer, but be sure to pour the hot syrup into a heatproof bowl for mixing, and be prepared for a little arm fatigue, as the beating time is substantial. Using a rubber spatula, scrape into the prepared dish and spread in an even layer to the edges of the pan. Let cool at room temperature until firm, about 4 hours.
4. Tip the marshmallow out of the pan and remove the lining. Trim 3⁄4 inch (2 cm) off each edge, then cut into 9 squares. Sift a scoop of powdered sugar in a bowl, add the marshmallows, and toss to coat. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the cream until just barely boiling. Meanwhile, arrange 9 of the graham cracker halves, top side down, on a baking sheet and place a marshmallow on top
of each. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Drizzle some of this melted chocolate mixture over each marshmallow, close the s’mores with another graham cracker half, and serve.
Return to episode guide >>