Sasha Perl-Raver - Sugar Cookies
Makes 2-3 Dozen Cookies
Sugar Cookie Ingredients
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 teaspoons milk
3 teaspoons light corn syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
food coloring as desired
Sugar Cookie Directions
1. Whisk together flour, salt and cinnamon.
2. In another large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extract.
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture.
5. Cover and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. Roll out dough on floured surface until it’s ¼ to ½ inch thick.
8. Cut into hearts and place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet lightly sprayed with butter flavored nonstick cooking spray.
9. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 8 to 10 minutes.
10. Allow to cool completely before icing.
1. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and milk until smooth.
2. Beat in corn syrup and vanilla extract until icing is smooth and glossy.
3. If icing is too thick, add a little more corn syrup.
4. Each color you make will need its own bowl for tinting so divide icing into as many separate bowls as you’d like to make color and add food colorings to each until it reaches your desired shade.
5. Cookies can be dipped in the icing, painted with a brush or piped.
6. To pipe a love message, spoon icing into a sealable storage bag, pressing out excess air, and snip a small opening in the bottom corner of bag.
7. Twisting bag firmly just above icing, decoratively pipe icing onto cookies. Let icing dry completely (about 1 hour) before transferring or storing cookies.
Return to episode guide >>