New Orleans Jambalaya
There really are no rules about jambalaya...Add what you like; Crawfish, shellfish, ham, duck, etc. Anything goes in New Orleans!
1/3-cup canola oil
8 garlic cloves, minced
2 yellow onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 pounds Andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1-pound boneless dark meat chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
1-teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
5 cups canned diced tomatoes, with liquid
3 cups chicken stock
5 cups long-grain rice
1/2-cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup green onions, chopped
Louisiana Hot Sauce
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic, onions, red and green pepper and celery and saute until the onions are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the sausage, chicken, cayenne, chili powder, thyme, and tomatoes with there liquid, stock, rice, parsley, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
4. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add the shrimp, stir well, cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
6. Garnish with green onions and serve hot sauce on the side, for those that CAN handle it!
Get more recipes and info from Chef Jamie Gwen here: www.chefjamie.com/index.php
Return to episode guide >>