A Great Big Muffaletta Sandwich
Muffaletta Olive Mix:
Serve this loaf-sized sandwich as the perfect centerpiece at your next party!
3/4-cup pimento-stuffed olives
1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
1/4 cup Giardiniera (Italian pickled vegetables)
4 pickled onions
2 tablespoons capers
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Drain both olives, the pickled vegetables, the pepperoncini, the pickled onions and the capers and place them in the bowl of a food processor.
2. Add the garlic, oregano, pepper and olive oil.
3. Pulse until roughly chopped.
4. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate overnight before using.
Rustic Italian Bread
Yellow and Red Bell Peppers
Crumbled Goat Cheese
Fresh Basil Leaves Balsamic Vinegar Olive Oil
1. Begin with a large loaf (unsliced) of Rustic Italian bread. Cut the loaf in half lengthwise, then scoop out and discard the center of the bread.
2. Spread traditional New Orleans Olive Mix (recipe below), pesto, olive tapenade or grainy mustard on the bottom half of the bread.
3. Top with a layer of roasted red and yellow bell peppers, assorted Deli meats (try turkey and salami or ham), slices of your favorite cheese or crumbled goat cheese, marinated artichoke hearts and fresh basil leaves.
4. Drizzle the sandwich with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and crown with the top half of the bread loaf.
5. Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator, weighted down with a cast iron skillet or a brick.
6. Allow the sandwich to rest for a few hours to meld flavors, then slice and serve.
Get more recipes and info from Chef Jamie Gwen here: www.chefjamie.com/index.php.
Return to episode guide >>