McDonald's: Big Mac
Save: 174 calories, 19 g fat, 7 g sat. fat
3 ounces 96% lean ground beef (about 1/3 cup)
2 pinches of salt
1 sesame seed hamburger bun + 1 bun bottom
1 slice (1/2 ounce) 2% milk yellow American cheese
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon McDonald's Big Mac Sauce
1 teaspoon finely chopped white onion
1/3 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
2 rounds dill pickle
Big Mac Sauce
1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 teaspoons dill pickle relish
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon finely chopped white onion
1. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, relish, ketchup, sugar, and mustard. Stir to blend well. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
2. Stir in the onion just before serving.
3. Makes about 2/3 cup, enough for 4 servings.
Each serving: 49 calories, trace protein, 6 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, trace sat. fat, trace fiber.
1. Divide the beef in half. On a sheet of waxed paper, shape each half into a 4" patty. Season both sides with salt. Transfer the waxed paper to a plate. Place, uncovered, in the freezer for 5 minutes.
2. Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until drops of water sizzle when splashed on the pan.
3. Place the patties in the pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until no longer pink.
4. Meanwhile, place the bun top and bottoms, cut-sides down, in the pan. Cook for about 1 minute, or until toasted. (If the pan is not large enough to hold the patties and the buns, first cook 1 patty with the bottom bun and then start assembling the sandwich while the others cook.)
5. Just before the patties are cooked, place the cheese on 1 patty.
6. Place 1 bun bottom on a plate. Spread on 1 tablespoon sauce. Place the cheeseburger, cheese-side down, on the bun.
7. Spread 1 teaspoon sauce on the second bun bottom and place, sauce-side down, on the cheeseburger.
8. Top with the remaining 1 tablespoon sauce, the onion, lettuce, pickles, the remaining burger, and the bun top.
Makes 1 serving: 386 calories, 26 g protein, 44 g carbohydrates, 11 g fat, 3 g sat. fat, 2 g fiber
Original McDonald's Big Mac: 560 calories, 25 g protein, 47 g carbohydrates,30 g fat, 10 g sat. fat, 3 g fiber
Return to episode guide >>
Get more from Devin here: www.devinalexander.com.