$5 Creole Shrimp and Cornbread Skillet Bake
14 ounces tailless frozen shrimp
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
1 small zucchini, about 2/3 pound, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon minced onion
2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
salt and pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large, ovenproof 12-inch skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the shrimp with the tomatoes, zucchini, garlic powder, onion, Creole seasoning, and salt and pepper for 7 to 9 minutes.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in the egg, milk, oil, and honey.
4. Pour the cornbread batter over the cooked shrimp and vegetables.
5. Transfer the skillet into the preheated oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes until the cornbread has baked through in the middle.
6. Using heavy-duty oven mitts, carefully remove the skillet from the oven as the handle will be hot. Let cool slightly before serving.
Get more $5 dinners here: www.5dollardinners.com.
Get The $5 Dinner Mom One-Dish Dinners Cookbook here: www.amazon.com.
Return to episode guide >>