Chocolate Almond Toffee Crunch
*Makes 20 to 24 pieces
1 sleeve all-natural dairy-free saltine or graham crackers
1 cup (2 sticks) Earth Balance margarine (Please use Earth Balance Regular Brand only - not any other brand or the whipped style)
1/2 cup Sucanat
3 ounces sliced almonds
12 ounces dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
1. Line a cookie sheet with foil, making sure it goes up the sides.
2. Place a single layer of crackers on the sheet, covering it completely.
3. In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine and Sucanat, whisking the whole time, just until it starts to get frothy and the slightest golden brown. (Do not caramelize and do not let the Sucanat dissolve completely).
4. Pour the mixture over the crackers, using a spatula to cover as evenly as you can.
5. Bake immediately for 7 minutes, or until caramel colored.
6. Sprinkle the crackers with the almonds, then the chocolate chips, and bake for 2 to 3 minutes more, until the chips are soft.
7. Swirl the chips with a butter knife to spread the chocolate over the surface.
8. Cool, then refrigerate about 30 minutes until the chocolate is set.
9. Cut into bars or break into pieces.
Store in the refrigerator.
Return to episode guide >>