Buca di Beppo Meatballs with Emily Bishop
What makes Buca di Beppo's meatballs the best in the world? They’re made from the highest-quality ingredients and slow-cooked in fresh marinara sauce to preserve tenderness and infuse them with flavor.
2.5 lb. Ground Beef, Chuck
2 Tsp. Salt
2 Tsp. Black pepper Ground
¾ cup Breadcrumbs Italian
¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
3 ea Egg, Whole
2 Oz. Garlic
Yield 7-8 oz Meatballs or 14-8oz Meatballs
1. Using gloved hands, break down chubs of ground chuck into smaller half pound (8oz) portions or quarter pound (4oz)
2. Before mixing, combine measured amounts of salt, black pepper, breadcrumbs and cheese and mix well in a mixing bowl.
3. In a large bowl, evenly layer in portions of ground chuck with mixed dry ingredients, whisked eggs and poached garlic. Spread throughout the bowl and distribute as evenly as possible so there are no “pockets” of ingredients.
4. Using gloved hands, mix thoroughly but Do not over-mix the ingredients, as this will cause the meatballs to be tough.
5. Wearing gloves, portion the mixture to 8 oz wt or 4 oz balls using a measuring cup ( 1cup= 8oz wt ½ cup= 4 oz wt)
6. When forming the balls, handle as little as possible. Do not toss them from hand to hand or roll them on the prep table, but instead gently shape them in the palms of your hands.
7. Place the meatballs on cake pan parchment paper lined sheet pans and cover with a plastic bag.
8. Storage in refrigerator until needed.
MEATBALLS COOKING PROCEDURE
7(8) oz or 14 (4oz) Meatballs
9 cups BUCA Marianara sauce
3 cups Water
1. Preheated 400º F convection for 15 minutes. Using Bake pan placed meatballs in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
2. Combine 3 parts of BUCA marinara, hot (140º) to 1 part water and pour over the meatballs. Meatballs must be submerged in the sauce.
3. Cover bake pan with aluminum foil and bake at 400º F for 30 minutes.
4. Remove and discard foil. Skim excess fat from the top of the liquid.
Return to episode guide >>