Arby’s Curly Fries
Save: 105 calories, 16 g fat, 2.5 g sat. fat
1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
4 russet potatoes (8 ounces each; 2 pounds total), peeled
Olive oil spray
2 1⁄2 tablespoons egg substitute
1 1⁄2 tablespoons unbleached or all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon salt.
2. Meanwhile, with a twin curl cutter, cut 7 ounces of potato curls, about 2 cups. (Cover with water and refrigerate the scraps for another recipe.)
3. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly mist a small nonstick baking sheet with oil spray. Set aside.
4. Transfer the potato curls to the boiling water. Cook for exactly 3 minutes but no longer or they will break.
5. Drain in a colander. Set aside for about 5 minutes to cool.
6. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the egg substitute, flour, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and the remaining 3⁄4 teaspoon salt. With a fork, mix until well blended.
7. Add the potatoes. Toss them with your fingers until they are coated with the seasoning mixture.
8. Transfer, allowing any excess seasoning mixture to drip off, to the reserved baking sheet. Arrange the potatoes, not touching, in a single layer.
8. Lightly mist with oil spray. Bake for 18 to 24 minutes, turning them about halfway through, until crisp and cooked through.
Makes 1 serving.
235 calories, 9 g protein, 47 g carbohydrates, 2 g fat, trace sat. fat, 4 g fiber.
Original Arby’s Small Curly Fries: 340 calories, 4g protein, 39 g carbohydrates, 18 g fat, 2.5 g sat. fat, 4 g fiber.
Get more from Devin here: www.devinalexander.com.
Return to episode guide >>