Shannon Miller's "Fit Pregnancy" Exercises
**NOTE: Please consult with your doctor before engaging in physical activity while pregnant.**
STANDING KNEE HUG
This is a great workout for your legs. Use the chair for balance.
1. Begin standing in Mountain Pose with your feet together and arms at your sides.
2. Relax your breath and your body. Gaze softly at a fixed spot ahead of you.
3. Shift your weight to your left foot. Place your left hand on your hip. Moving very slowly, draw your right knee up toward your chest. Hug your knee into your chest with your right hand.
4. Straighten your spine. Strongly engage the muscles of your left leg and your abdominals. Straighten your left leg, but do not lock your knee.
5. Drop your right hip slightly, so it is in line with your left hip.
6. Keep both hips squared forward and keep your spine straight. Drop your shoulders away from your ears.
7. Hold for 5-20 breaths. To release, slowly lower your foot to the floor. Come back to Mountain Pose. Stand still for a few breaths and re-focus. Repeat on the opposite side for the same amount of time.
This is also a great workout for your legs. Use should also use the chair in this exercise.
1. Stand with your feet wider than shoulders.
2. Squat down on one side then shift to other side.
3. Hips should make a "U" shape.
This is a great workout for your core. Yes, you can even work your core during pregnancy, you just have to be safe about it. Use the chair for this exercise as well.
1. Starting in a face-down position, place your hands shoulder-width apart on the chair.
2. Fully extend your arms, straighten your back, and squeeze your abs to maintain this position. Hold until you feel fatigued.
This is a great workout for your arms. It should be done standing.
1. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and abs tight.
2. Hold a dumbbell and draw big squares allowing upper body to move, but not hips. Draw letters (baby name), etc.
DIP TO HIP POP
This is also a great workout for your arms and should be done with a chair.
1. This is a reverse plank. Dip down with your arms and press hips up.
To purchase Shannon Miller's "Fit Pregnancy" DVD, please visit www.shannonmillerlifestyle.com.
Return to episode guide >>